The majority of people who are filing for bankruptcy don’t want to. Though, they realize that their debt is out of control and that filing for bankruptcy is the right choice to take control of their finances and get out of debt. Filing for bankruptcy is a serious financial decision, but it may be the best financial decision.
When you file for bankruptcy there are a few things that you must do. One of your responsibilities is to gather the necessary documents. There are documents that the bankruptcy trustee will require, and there are documents that your attorney will need to complete your bankruptcy petition and schedules.
For some people, one of the most daunting tasks in the bankruptcy process is gathering the necessary documents. If this is your experience, our advice is to take it one document at a time. You do not have to find all of them at once.
Documents You Must Gather Before Filing Bankruptcy
- 6 months of pay stubs;
- 6 months of documentation of other sources of income (if applicable);
- 6 months of profit & loss statements (if self-employed or you own a business);
- Copies of your bills and documentation of other debts you owe;
- Copy of your most recent mortgage statement(s);
- Copy of your most recent car loan statement(s);
- Copy of your federal and state income tax return or a transcript of the return, for the most recent filed year ending immediately before your case is filed;
- Copies of paperwork in regard to pending lawsuits, wage garnishment, bank levies, foreclosure on real property, or repossession notices;
- List of all bank and credit union accounts;
- Record of any interest you have in an individual educational retirement account or under a qualified state tuition program; and
- Certificate of completion for pre-filing credit counseling.
With the above documents, your attorney will be able to complete your bankruptcy petition and schedules, or at least the majority thereof.
Our Bankruptcy Law Firm Offers Free Consultations
We proudly serve the people of Savannah, GA and the surrounding areas, including Richmond Hill, Hinesville, Pooler, Port Wentworth, Tybee Island, Clyo, Ellabel, Midway, Ludowici, Springfield, Pembroke, Brooklet, and Garden City.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.