People want to pay back the money they borrow. People want to pay off the debts they owe. We’ve been practicing bankruptcy law for over 35 years and the majority of our clients tell us they feel bad that they’re unable to pay back their debts. Prior to filing many people experience a serious life-changing event, like a job loss, divorce, death in the family, a costly medical emergency, or another unavoidable situation. When you simply cannot afford to pay back your debts, for whatever reason, filing for bankruptcy may be the right choice for you.
How Many People File for Bankruptcy?
- In 2017, 759,243 individuals and married couples filed for Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy combined.
- In Georgia in 2017, 45,583 individuals and married couples filed for Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy combined.
- 2018: In the first two months of this year alone, 6,844 Georgians filed for bankruptcy protection.
Currently, Georgia ranks 3rd in the nation in per capita bankruptcy filings, surpassed only by California and Illinois (based on the number of filings in January and February of 2018). By these numbers, you can see that bankruptcy is not uncommon. If you are drowning in debt that you cannot pay back, it is time to learn about how bankruptcy can erase your debt and give you the fresh financial start you need.
How Can Filing for Bankruptcy Help Me?
Bankruptcy offers many benefits and protections. Here are just a few of the ways that filing can help you:
- Bankruptcy has the power to erase medical debt, credit card debt, and many other types of debts.
- As soon as you file all collection action against you must stop―bankruptcy puts an end to:
- Collection phone calls
- Wage Garnishment
- Bank Levies
- Lawsuits for unpaid debts
- Foreclosure proceedings (at least temporarily, sometimes permanently)
- Repossession (at least temporarily, sometimes permanently)
- Reduce stress and live healthier. Living with the weight of debt can adversely affect your health. Financial stress has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease, ulcers, diabetes, migraines, and sleep disturbances.
How Do I Decide If Bankruptcy is the Right Choice for Me?
To explore if bankruptcy is the right choice for you, we encourage you to discuss your financial situation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. If you live in or around Savannah, GA come in and meet with us for a free consultation. Together we will look at your specific situation to see if bankruptcy would be a good solution to your debt problems. We will also go over how filing would affect you and the pros and cons of filing.
The Law Office of Barbara B. Braziel is the premier bankruptcy law firm in Savannah, GA. We have over 35 years of bankruptcy experience and we practice exclusively in bankruptcy law. We invite you to get to know us here and read about the clients we’ve helped here.
Find out more about Bankruptcy in our guide: All About Bankruptcy
We proudly serve the people of Savannah, GA and the surrounding areas, including Richmond Hill, Hinesville, Pooler, Port Wentworth, Tybee Island, Clyo, Ellabel, Midway, Ludowici, Springfield, Pembroke, Brooklet, and Garden City.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.